Tuesday 3 October 2023

RIP Keith Huddlestone

 I learnt the news today that my physics teacher at secondary school, Keith Huddlestone, died at the weekend.  My school, a relatively small comprehensive in north-west Essex, had two physics teachers that I recall during the time I was there, and though I was taught by both, I recall that Mr Huddlestone was the main one I had teaching me.  I was at the school between 1985 and 1992 and I took physics classes the whole way through, leaving with an A level in the subject before going off to university to study yet more physics.  Mr Huddlestone was a kind person and a good teacher, who helped me learn the subject that I ended up making my career in.  I remember his close involvement with running the Old Newportonians society of ex-pupils.  He only stood down from this role a few months ago, having been doing it for 50 years(!) so predating my time at the school, which already feels like a long time ago to me.

I don't know how old Keith was when he died, but he had a long and I hope happy life.  When I learnt that he was stepping down from the old pupils' society earlier this year, I sent a message letting him know that I was promoted to professor this year, and I hope he took some satisfaction in the success of this particular ex-pupil.  RIP Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment