Friday 21 June 2024

2023 Journal Impact Factors

I see that the 2023 Journal Impact Factors (JIFs) have been announced.  While I take them with a pinch of salt, as I am able to judge quality of articles by actually reading them, JIFs are an interesting artifact of the research environment, not least because so many people seem to take them seriously.

In the "PHYSICS, NUCLEAR" category, there are 20 journals, with the top two predictably being review-only journals.  For the regular journals, where you can openly submit papers, there are not too many surprises:  The journals which combine particle and nuclear phsyics, but which are nevertheless included in the "PHYSICS, NUCLEAR" category, do better than nuclear-physics-only journals.  So Physics Letters B, Chinese Physics C and J Phys G outrank Phys Rev C, European Physical Journal A and Nuclear Physics A.    

The one unexpected result for me is the high score of Nuclear Science and Techniques.  The journal combines nuclear physics of the sort I do, with "nuclear science" - meaning things to do with applications of nuclear physics, such as nuclear reactors, or radiation physics.  Such areas do not usually bring JIFs up as applied physics tends not to be highly cited.  The journal has been somewhat under my radar.  I don't make a habit of looking there for new papers, though I see there are some interesting nuclear physics papers there, alongside nuclear science articles a bit far from my main interests.  It's a China-based journal, though published by Springer, and the authorship is heavily China-based.  

One may speculate why it is doing so well in impact factor. The JIF number has jumped out quite a bit this year to put it in the top quartile by category.  I don't know the answer as to why.  It may simply be the fact that the journal is heavily used in China and the volume of reesarch coming out from China, whose authors are aware of and citing other work from China, is ever-increasing.  Let me know what you think!

Since I like to include a picture for each post, I scanned a list of open access papers in the journal and found the one closest to my own interests - The 5𝛼 Condensate State in Ne-20 by non-Chinese author Takahiro Kawabata.  It shows a schematic picture of an alpha-cluster state in neon-20 compared to the non-clustered ground state.



No comments:

Post a Comment