Wednesday 19 July 2023

Class of 2023

 It's undergraduate graduation day for Physics students at the University of Surrey.  I came dressed in my fancy robes (Open University MSc) and enjoyed seeing the students in their University of Surrey robes walk up to the front of Guildford cathedral to get their degrees.  Often I would stay for the reception after the ceremony, but not today.  The reception is the place where I can catch up with now-departed students and meet their proud parents.  That's really the best part of the day, but I had another appointment today and couldn't stay for it.  Usually, I would be able to get a picture of me with some of the students, but today, I only managed to be in a picture with other staff members as we waited outside the tradesman's entrance, as tweeted by my colleague Caroline.  I'm the tall one in blue:


There was no mention of the Marking and Assessment Boycott at the ceremony, as has happened at some other Unis:

The good news, announced cooincidently today, is that the USS pension scheme is now in surplus, and the industrial action we have been taken to restore our lost benefits looks like it might have succeeded in part.

No comments:

Post a Comment