Thursday 11 May 2023

From Lausanne

 I am at a workshop in Lausanne, Switzerland for three days, today being the middle day.  The workshop is called Quantum-Classical Quantum Simulation, concerning the use of quantum and/or classical algorithms to simulate quantum systems.  Since this one of the things I have been working on, I thought it reasonable to attend and to share my work - or at least the work of my PhD student Lance.   Yesterday I gave a talk, and I think it went down okay.  I certainly had a few questions, mainly about the nuclear physics content.  

Lausanne seems like a nice place.  It's not a huge city in terms of population, with around 140k people, which is the population of the borough of Guildford where I live, but it feels a lot more metropolitan.  Indeed, it has a metro, and is apparently the world's smallest city with a metro.  It's interesting being at a conference where there is a combination of people from different backgrounds in computer science, mathematics and physics.  Some of the talks have been pretty hard for me to understand, perhaps as a result of not having enough background in the area, but to be fair that includes some of the physics-heavy talks.  

Lausanne is also pretty.  I like the architecture, not least the EPFL campus.  Across the lake is a view of mountains including Mont Blanc - at least, there is a view when it is not too cloudy. The picture below is a view from the balcony of the conference site.  Perhaps not the pretties of the shots I've taken, but you can at least kinda see the mountains in the distance.



No comments:

Post a Comment