Tuesday 10 January 2023

How to pronounce "Nuclear"

 I'm at the Institute of Physics building in London attending a community meeting on nuclear physics.   Among all the interesting and/or useful information I've picked up from the talks, I've noticed that the word "nuclear" is being pronounced 'nucular' by some members of the community.  It's something of a joke in The Simpsons that Homer Simpson is so uncouth that even though he is an operator at a nuclear power plant, he thinks the word should be pronounced "nucular" and not "nuclear".  I don't wince like I once did when I hear it pronounced "nucular".  It seems that it is simply how some people hear it / are able to say it.  Neither OED or Chambers dictionaries have caught up with this yet, but I suppose they will.  The American Merriam-Webster dictionary has "nucular", and lists it as non-standard.

Though I no longer wince, it does still stand out to me when I hear nucular.  Perhaps I need to start using it myself, until I am completely at one with it.

2 comments:

  1. https://twitter.com/HellsHarlot402/status/1612860210619777026

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's new plus it's clear; it's newclear. It's not new plus killer; it's not newkiller.

    ReplyDelete