Wednesday 16 November 2022

Bdrmm in the Boileroom

 Last night's cultural activity was a visit to the Boileroom venue in Guildford for a gig by Bdrmm (pronounced Bedroom).  They are a band that I didn't know particularly well when I bought the tickets but I'd come across them from emails from their record label, and had a listen on Bandcamp.  They fall into the shoegaze genre - one that came into prominence in the late 1980s by bands like Slowdive, Pale Saints, Moose, and My Bloody Valentine.  The popularity of the sub-genre appears to have waned since that initial heyday, though it may be just that my finger is not on the (slow) pulse, and indeed Wikipedia points out that there is, since the late 2010s, a renewed interest in the form of the "nu gaze" and "blackgaze" scenes.  

Anyway, I enjoyed the gig a lot.  They built up a beautiful droning wall of effects-pedal-enhanced guitar sound, managing to weave some catchy songs into the noise.  They seemed like a lovely group of people whose delight and surprise that a packed-out venue of people actually wanted to come and hear them.

Here's a picture from my ageing phone, which struggles to focus in low light.  I eyed, slightly enviously, all those people in front of me who were holding their phones up and getting nice clear shots

 




No comments:

Post a Comment