Tuesday 11 October 2022

R. I. P. Ricardo Broglia (1939–2022)

I saw on Twitter last week that Ricardo Broglia has died.  Broglia was a big name in nuclear theory during my nuclear physics career.  His work on nuclear structure and reactions has had a lot of impact, and he brought together a group in the University of Milan which has become one of the centres of low energy nuclear theory research.  As far as I know, I never really met him, though I dare say we might have been at the same conference together at some point over the last 20 years.

He was a collaborator of David Brink, who I did know, and who died last year.  In fact, I was searching a second hand book website recently for a book including a chapter by David Brink which I wanted to read.  I found the book and ordered it, but also saw available a copy of Brink and Broglia's Nuclear Superfluidity, which I ordered too.  I have not properly read it yet, but when I heard of Broglia's death, I picked it up and had a look through, wistful for the future nevertime when I will have a chance to study it in detail.  Attached it a picture of me pretending to read it while actually concentrating on taking a selfie of me reading it.  

The Milan group website has a more informative biographical picture of him.


No comments:

Post a Comment