Friday 12 August 2022

A new old book

 I received in the post yesterday a book that I ordered second hand online.  It is the Proceedings of the International School of Physics «Enrico Fermi» Course XXXVI, edited by C. Bloch.  Here's the (rather dark) cover:


The book was sold as an ex-library book and indeed inside I see it stamped with "University of Salford", and there is even still the place where the librarian used to stamp the return date.  The single date stamped is 11. OCT 1968:

I bought the book because (a) I saw it online for £1 + postage and (b) different lectures in it are referenced in a couple of places in papers I come back to quite often:  One is paper 4 in the series introducing the Lipkin Meshkov Glick Model: D. Agassi, H. J. Lipkin and N. Meshkov. Nucl. Phys. 86, 321 (1966). There, they reference "K. Bleuler, seminar delivered at Varenna Summer School (1965) unpublished", but the seminar was published presumably after Agassi et al. submitted their paper, in 1966 in these proceedings.  

The other paper I know of referencing the book is one in the generator coordinate method is used to describe giant resonances: H. Flocard and D. Vautherin, Nucl. Phys. A264, 197 (1976).  It's a method that I think bears revisiting with modern time-dependent Hartree-Fock codes as the generator of the basis states, so I go back to this paper whenever I am working on this new application.  There is an expression in the paper which is supposed to be found by "A straightforward calculation [see for example the appendix of ref. 6)]".  I have managed to work out the expression, though I'm not sure I would call my method straightforward, so I was interested to see the sppendix of ref 6, which of course is an article (by David Brink) in "Proceedings of the International School of Physics Enrico Fermi Course 36 ed. C. Bloch (Academic Press, New York, 1966)."

Now at last I have the book, and I can read the articles referred to, or more likely, look at the book on my shelf and realise I can, at some point, read those articles. 

The book contains a picture with an overlay legend showing attendees at the conference.  Here are photos of the picture, and the overlay.  If you click on them you should see them in as good a resolution as I was able to take with my phone camera.  If anyone is really interested in seeing the best resolution I can get, please leave a comment and I'll see what I can do.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment