Friday 15 July 2022

Philip Walker recipient of 2022 Lise Meitner prize

It has just been announced that my colleague at the University of Surrey, (emeritus) Prof Phil Walker, has received the 2022 Lise Meitner prize for his work on nuclear isomers.  A good description of the significance of isomers is given in the announcement from the European Physical Society. It points out that the discovery of isomers happened 100 years ago (actually 101), and Phil co-organised a meeting in Berlin in the place where Hahn made that discovery.  The workshop took place this year and was able to happen in-person, though Phil only attended remotely thanks to the general ongoing difficulties in international travel through the pandemic. 

This is not the first time I have blogged about Phil winning a prize.  He was also awarded the 2019 IoP Rutherford medal.  When I mentioned that,  I pointed out how kind and helpful Phil has been with me in my career, and that I had 14 co-authored papers with him and hoped that I might be able to increase that number.  In fact, that has happened - last year Phil and I published a paper together on gamma decay of isomeric states.  

Congratulations Phil!



No comments:

Post a Comment