Friday 29 July 2022

Misogyny in pop science books

 My 8 year old daughter is quite into the idea of time travel, and would really like it if it were possible to build a time machine.  So, I figured I'd get a copy of Paul Davies's book How to Build a Time Machine and read it to her.  I hadn't read it and figured it wasn't quite aimed at her age, but I also figured it would be pretty readable and she'd get something from it. 

Mainly she seems to be enjoying it, and I am too, but one phrase in the introduction did jar with me when reading it out to her.  The author talks a bit about time travel in popular culture, mentioning Doctor Who and how audiences "thrilled to the adventures of the time lord Dr Who and his attractive lady accomplices."  

I didn't stop reading or start talking about why the "lady accomplices" should have been described as "attractive" when they are no doubt lots of other things, and she didn't stop to ask, but I certainly gave a huge inward sigh, realising that this is the world she is living in.  We're still reading through the book together, and I think I indeed must say something to her about it.  Perhaps when we've finsihed we can talk about things we thought about the book, and I can give my thoughts then.




No comments:

Post a Comment