Saturday 5 April 2014

IoP Nuclear Physics Conference 2014

On Monday I'm off to the annual national nuclear physics conference, organised under the auspices of the Institute of Physics's Nuclear Physics Group.  It's particularly important that I attend this year, as I am the conference chair.  I've been involved in organising conferences before, but this is really the first time I've been Mr Chairman.  Or Dr Chairperson.  Thankfully, the Institute of Physics conference team have done lots of the administrative stuff, leaving me and the organising committee to do the scientific stuff.  I hope it all goes well.  I think everything is set.  Well, almost everything.

When creating the timetable, we (the organising committee) based it last year's conference.  This had a timetabled "welcome" address by the organiser at the beginning.  We've put the same thing in, which means that I need to open the conference with a welcome address.  All very reasonable.  Only the slot is 30 minutes long.  Less reasonable, I think.  In retrospect, it might have been sensible to reduce this to 10 minutes.  Still, as anyone who knows me can attest, I can easily go on and on and on, and fill any time slot given to me.  Apologies in advance to other attendees :-)

The image attached to this post is the hotel where the conference is taking place, featuring some of the very same blades of grass that people will be longing staring at during the welcome speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment