Wednesday 15 February 2023

UK Nuclear Activity

 I got an email from the Institute of Physics today pointing out that the lastest in the UK Nuclear Activity monthly newletters is out.  Every month there are four sections:  1) Nuclear Physics Publications; 2) News to Report; 3) Outreach Activity; 4) Media Interactions.  

This month's edition has completely blank sections 2, 3, and 4.  That's a a real shame, and could look a bit embarrassing for the UK nuclear physics commnunity.  I guess it is on all of us who work in the area to put reports in, and I could certainly do better here.  Some of the stuff I put up on this blog can count as nuclear physics news with a UK community link, and I think I could easily pass some short reports along to the newsletter.  For example, (though I didn't write it up in the blog), I and at least one other UK nuclear person attended the recent Quantum Techonologies for Fundamental Physics STFC outreach workshop, and we could easily have given a quick report for the newsletter.  

I like to hope that I will do better here in future, but I think the whole community's excuse this month is that we all had the deadline to submit our next STFC consolidated grant at the beginning of the month.  

Section 1 (the publications) relies on a combination of the newsletter editor noticing papers in the most common nuclear physics journals, and community members sending in other things.  It is definitely because of "other things" that my co-authored paper in Chin. Phys. C appears!



No comments:

Post a Comment