Monday 14 January 2019

del-squared-cactus

A quick post today as I take a break in marking computing assignments.

I saw on Twitter a post about not recognising Greek letters in physics equations:

and a response from someone who teaches physics

Looking through many of the responses, it seems that it is a common problem among physics students to not have learnt or be able to pick up from context the names of the symbols used in physics equations if they are Greek letters (or other unfamiliar symbols presumably).

I think I do try to teach the names of the symbols I use when I use them, but maybe I don't.  Maybe I just say them out loud as I read or write them down and hope that's enough, but it seems from the Twitter responses above that it's probably not.  Would be interested to hear anyone's experiences on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment