Sunday 12 February 2012

In India

I'm sitting in my rather grand suite at the guest house of IIT Roorkee, a rather prestigious science-based University in India.  I'm here to teach a series of lectures at a postgraduate school for PhD students across India.  I'm talking about the Hartree-Fock approximation, and I hope I've pitched the level right.  Unlike the UK, where our nuclear physics summer schools have around 35 experimental students and 2 theoreticians, it's completely the other way round here.  Oh well, they may find it all a bit easy.  We'll find out tomorrow.  I should remember that the UK has probably the most extreme ratio of nuclear experiment to theory anywhere in the world in its academic community.  Still, my course will be rather practical theory, with details of how to really do the calculations in anger, rather than concentrating in derivations, so I think it will be interesting for the students. 

This is my second time in India.  I was here some years ago for a conference, and am happy to be back.  There's so much to like about the place:  The people, the culture, the food, the driving.  Well, at least three of those things.   Now I shall take a medicinal drink of quinine-laced tonic water (with some gin for good measure) and try to sleep through the jet lag.  Good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment