Tuesday 19 March 2024

Bye bye 12BB03

 Last week I was on a work trip to the USA and on my first day there I got an email from my employer telling me that I have to move offices and I should come and get the key of my newly assigned office.  It came a bit out of the blue and now that I'm back I find some of my colleagues have already moved and I have started the process of clearing out my office.  I'm using the opportunity to get rid of some of the stuff I have accumulated over the 20 years or so I have been in here.  It's a long time in anyone's life, and longer really than almost any other constant in my life - from children to partners to where I live, I'm in a different situation than I was 20 years ago.  In some sense I'm saying goodbye to the longest-lived part of my life that I saw on a near-daily basis.  On the other hand, it's only a room, and my employers can reasonably ask me to move to another room. 

Here are some of the things I have come across and thrown away:

My stash of used train tickets that I kept for no good reason.
Many memories (good and bad) evoked from looking at the journeys.

Once upon a time I used paper diaries from the Institute of Physics
to plan my (work)life.  Here is the week in 2003 where there was going to
be a retirement dinner for Prof Ron Johnson.  I suppose it was moved(?) so
I crossed it out.

I have a bunch of Open University material donated
to me by someone I used to tutor.  After he got his degree
he didn't want to keep the material and I have kept it all in a box
ever since.






No comments:

Post a Comment