Thursday 23 June 2022

Lord of the Dance

 Hot on the heels of my trip to GLive on Monday to see the Unthanks, I was back to see Lord of the Dance.  This was quite a different event to the minimalist and intimate folk music of Monday night.  Lord of the Dance featured a giant projected screen starting with a mini hagioraphy of Michael Flatley, dancer and founder of the show.  After that the live dancing started, along with grandiose scenic accompaniment on the projected screen.

The dancing was very impressive, with a mixed group of dancers playing out scenes in story of a battle between good and evil (loosely, and to the extent that I understood the story).  The music was augmented by the rhythmic sounds coming from the dancers' hard shoes, and I enjoyed seeing brilliant well-practiced artists doing their thing.  Monday night was more my scene, but I'm glad I came to see the dancing.  

From where we were sitting we had a good view, but it was quite far back, so my picture taken as the cast were coming on to take their bows is not the clearest



No comments:

Post a Comment