Wednesday 29 June 2022

Laura Veirs @ The Boileroom

 

Last night was the Covid-rescheduled visit of Laura Veirs to Guildford's premier music venue, the Boileroom.  I was bought a ticket by my mother-in-law for my birthday last year, and the original date for the gig was in October 2021.  That got pushed to last night, and I went along to see her play.  The support act was Joni - a singer-songwriter from LA, now living in London, who sung a set of sweet folky songs, a little reminiscent of Edie Brickell (though looking up the blurb for tonight's gig in Brighton, I see she is also described as "evoking the feelings of indie darlings Cat Power, Feist and Charlotte Gainsbourg."). 

Then came Laura Veirs.  The last time I saw Laura Veirs was a few years ago also at the Boileroom.  Last time, I'm pretty sure, she came with a band.  This time she was by herself, so although she is overall quite a folky and acoustic artist, some of her songs are a bit rockier and she did not play those ones last night.  There was quite a range of material played covering her many albums, including from the period of hers that I know best (around the time of July Flame and Warp and Weft).  She played some new songs from her soon-to-be-released album which (she explained) were a bit more experimental, using alternative tunings, and playing off beat for example.  I liked the new stuff and look forward to listening to the album.

Near the end she said she'd take requests and I didn't shout anything out, but she finished pre-encore with the song I probably would have shouted for, I can see your tracks.  I see that I posted a video to that before when I went to see Laura Veirs play.   This time, I'll post another one.  It's from the same album (July Flame) and she played it about half way through the set last night.  It's called When You Give Your Heart.  This version is a live-on-radio take:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment