Wednesday 10 October 2018

A journal from Croydon



Croydon, erstwhile part of Surrey (until 1965), is a place subject to much comedy at its expense.  Mind you, this is true of Surrey in general, which is England's archetype of a Home County.  Any comedy writer wishing to evoke a sense of smug  conservative, curtain-twitching, self-satisfied middle-Englandness, or just plain suburban mundanity need look no further than the county of Surrey.  Where else would the Durselys live in the Harry Potter series?  Where would Ford Prefect claim to have come from as cover in The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy?  Where would Tom and Barbara Good play out their dreams of self-sufficiency, outraging their neighbours' sense of propriety in The Good Life, if not in Surrey?  

I think Croydon is a fine place.  One thing that I didn't know about it until today is that it once had a Natural History and Scientific Society.  It was in existence around 100 years ago, when the terms Natural History and Science had about equal currency.  I found it out because I came across a reference to a paper published in its Proceedings:


Now I want to publish all my papers there, but I rather suspect the journal is defunct.  Presumably I would have to go and read my papers to the society first before publication.  

In the source I found this reference from (annual report of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, 1910) there are a bunch of neat parochial journals cited: Bradford Scientific Journal, Report Royal Cornwall Poly. Soc., Report Ealing Sci. Mic. Soc., Journal of Ipswich and District Field Club.  All, I suppose, have ceased publishing.

The picture at the top is of passengers waiting at East Croydon station.

edit: I'm quite wrong about the Croydon Society being defunct.  Not only does it still exist, but it still publishes proceedings: https://cnhss.co.uk/booksproceedings/

No comments:

Post a Comment