Wednesday, 7 October 2026

At CNR'26 in Fukuoka

I am at the CNR'26 conference in Fukuoka, Japan.  CNR = Compound Nuclear Reactions, being a class of nuclear reactions in which the nucleus undergoes a particular intermediate state.  A large class of these are neutron-induced reactions, such as those taking place in fission reactors.  I am here more because of my work on heavy-ion collisions, which is the usual way of describing reactions between pairs of nuclei, as opposed to reactions of a nucleus and a subnuclear particle.

I presented the work largely done by my recent PhD graduate Khlood Alharthi, on the effect of the nuclear surface on fusion reactions.  Here I am standing by my poster in the poster session last night (picture thanks to Amy Lovell):


 I'm here with a few Surrey colleagues.  One of my students, Sam, is here.  He's speaking later on.  Also in the poster session are PhD student Javier, and Surrey visiting professor James.  Here are James and Javier in front of one of their posters:


 The poster session was 2h long, and I thought maybe I would stay around for the first half hour or so when anyone who wanted to talk to me would probably do so, but in the end, the conversations kept on going.  It was very handy to discuss the results with a range of different people, as Khlood and I are writing up her thesis work for publication, and the discussions I had yesterday will help frame the arguments in the paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment